Canadian Inflation Rate, 1939-2018 (CA$1)
The consumer price index (CPI) in 1939 was 7.8. Statistics Canada uses this CPI value to track inflation on a monthly basis.
According to Statistics Canada consumer price index, the dollar experienced an average inflation rate of 3.63% per year.
Prices in 2018 are
1578.2% higher than
prices in 1939.
In other words, CA$1 in the year 1939 is equivalent in purchasing power to CA$16.78 in 2018, a difference of CA$15.78 over 79 years.
current inflation rate
in 2018 is 0.38%1. If this number holds, CA$1 today will be equivalent to CA$1.00 next year.
Inflation from 1939 to 2018
Cumulative price change
Average inflation rate
Price difference (CA$1 base)
CPI in 1939
CPI in 2018
How to calculate the inflation rate for CA$1 since 1939
Start with the inflation rate formula:
CPI in 2018 / CPI in 1939 * 1939 CAD value = 2018 CAD value
Then plug in historical CPI values
. The Canadian CPI was 7.8 in the year 1939 and 130.9 in 2018:
130.9 / 7.8 * CA$1 = CA$16.78
CA$1 in 1939 has the same "purchasing power" as CA$16.78 in 2018.
News headlines from 1939
Politics and news often influence economic performance. Here's what was happening at the time:
- Hitler makes a speech to the German Reichstag where he threatens Jews.
- Mahatma Gandhi begins his fast in protest against Britain’s autocratic rule in India
- The Battle of Nanchang takes place between the Kuomintang ant the Japanese, during Sino-Japanese War.
- The Spanish Civil War ends when Madrid falls to Francisco Franco.
- Britain and France declare war on Germany after it invades Poland, signaling the start of World War II.
- Mussolini’s Italy joins Hitler's war against Great Britain and France.
- Winston Churchill is named British Prime Minister, succeeding Neville Chamberlain.
- Nazi blitzkrieg conquest of France begins when the Germans cross the Muese River.
- Auschwitz concentration camp is opened in Nazi-controlled Poland,.
Inflation Data Source
You may use the following MLA citation for this page:
“Inflation Rate in 1939 | Canada Inflation Calculator.” FinanceRef Inflation Calculator, Alioth Finance, 17 Jan. 2018, http://www.in2013dollars.com/CAD-inflation-rate-in-1939.